Saturday, March 11, 2006

Technology


Sometimes I feel like the world is moving faster than I can comprehend. Most of the time this isn't a problem - I'm quite happy being an insular person spending time on the things that I know and care about and not paying too much attention to the ever changing, other things around me. Perhaps that is why I've taken so long in getting around to having a blog, when for many of my friends it's an integral part of the way they conduct their social lives.

I'm starting to realise that this turns into a self-perpetuating situation. I don't use the internet every day (really... some people don't! In fact only 10% of the world population have ever used a computer). Since I use it intermittently, I don't have broadband. So I tend not to spend hours on the net finding out how to use new technology. So I ignore the new technology... and remain happy in my non-broadband world.

Starting this blog has shifted my technological equilibrium. Now, I'm wanting to post entries. More than that, I'm wanting to emulate those other lovely blogs which have links and pictures. Luckily for me, I'm staying with my parents and sister for the weekend. This has many many benefits (more adults to child ratio, someone else planning and cooking meals... I could go on and on). Usefully for this blog however they also have broadband which, combined with the childcare factor, means that I have learnt to how to post a picture - as you can see from the lovely image of Paul and Ellie.

It's a good thing to learn and do new things. I should remember that and do it more often.

1 comment:

Glingle said...

Honestly - my sister getting to grips with new technology and blogging. I feel the need for some sibling rivalry coming on ;) Your blog's looking great, keep posting.